Sunday, October 10, 2010

Unusual Christmas Colors

I don't know about you, but sometimes I like to make a card that is totally "out of the box."  This weeks Pals Paper Arts color challenge really had me scratching my head.  Not because the challenge was weird or anything, but because in my mind, I had made the transition to autumn and christmas and these colors just didn't fit with cards made with those themes in mind.

But still, I like the colors a lot.  Then on Saturday I checked out the latest Waltzingmouse sketch challenge, which clearly invoked images of Christmas.  I started thinking about how I could combine the two.

Many years ago I visited Arizona.  On my trip there, I met up with an old friend of my husband's and for some reason we started talking about Christmas trees.  She, of course, decorated a Christmas tree as is the tradition in this country, but I couldn't help thinking that this was decidedly strange because she lived in a desert that had no such thing as pine trees.  While my Christmas tree was made of pine and was decorated with complementary colors hers should (by rights) be a native desert plant with the fabulous, intense colors of the desert.  So, in honor of those that live in places where pine trees don't exist, and the colors of the Christmas season don't necessarily conform to tradition, may I present my non-conformist Christmas card.

When I made this card, I had in mind those Saguaro cactus and Prickly Pear cactus that sport those fabulous colorful flowers in spring. 

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you have time to stamp today!

5 comments:

Linda Callahan said...

I love the desert Christmas look! When snow blankets the Northeast where I live we count the days until the color returns! Thanks for joining us at PPA!

Ann Schach said...

Fabulous! I love how you used these colors for Christmas trees! Thanks for playing with Pals Paper Arts!

Stampin' Diva said...

Sometimes we think Christmas and limit our colors. Love what you did with this card and it shows that Christmas can be just as beautiful in Melon Mambo and Peach Parfait. Such a cute card. thank you so much for playing along with us at PPA!!

Savitri said...

I don't like traditional Christmas colors. Christmas to me is whatever color :P Love your take!!!

Mona Pendleton said...

Cute card! Love the fun colorful Christmas trees! Thanks for playing along with the WMSC :)