Saturday, February 5, 2011

Inkspirations 56 and Friday Mashup 30

Do you know what I mean when I say that I checked out a color challenge and said to myself:  "wow, I love those colors!"  I'm guessing you do!  Well, that's what I thought when I saw the latest Inkspirations Color Challenge.  A little help from the Friday Mashup sketch challenge and I was off!

I have long been of the belief that there is no better red on the face of the earth than Cherry Cobbler.  I absolutely adore Baja Breeze and, of course, Whisper White makes the world go 'round.  But the kicker here for me was the Basic Black.  If used sparingly with colors like these, I think it can really make a card pop!  And that is what I envisioned when I sat down to make this card.


And I tried something new with this card:  paper piecing.  I stamped the vase on a piece of Baja Breeze designer paper from the long retired Urban Garden collection and carefully placed it in the proper position.  I think it's a nice way to add a little interest to the image.

It's been a few days since I've provided a snow update, so I thought I'd let you know how it's going around here.  On Wednesday we had quite a bit of rain, which ordinarily would be a good way to melt some of the snow, but unfortunately it caused quite a bit of flooding (and many roof collapses as well).  A lot of the storm drains on the roads are covered in snow, so all that rain and melting snow had no place to go!  Add to that, below freezing temperatures at night and we've got giant frozen puddles all over the place.  On my drive home from work I encountered a series of card accidents involving nine cars that all basically slid around the road due to the icy conditions.  Thankfully no one was seriously hurt, but I'm pretty sure I'm not alone when I wish for the warmer temperatures of spring!

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you have time to stamp today!

11 comments:

Jen Timko said...

Love this!! Great use of both challenges!

Anonymous said...

gorgeous card Jeanette it reminds me of one I had done long long ago...I will send it to you in an email so you can see!

Hugs
Donna

Marisa said...

Absolutely love that focal image! Lovely use of the BG stamp up top and the ruffled ribbon is perfect. Thanks so much for joining us at Inkspirations this week :)

H2 :) said...

Love the "pop" you have achieved with the basic black & the paper piecing on the focal image is perfect. Great card Jen. :)

Terry said...

You've made a beautiful card! I love everything about it. Thanks for playing with us at Friday Mashup!.

paige said...

Very pretty card! love the ribbon1

Renée said...

SO gorgeous! thanks for playing with Inkspirations!

hollybeary creations said...

Love the way you used those colors Jen!! So pretty.. Thanks for joining us at the Mashup!

Christine Blain said...

This is a stunning card, Jen - I love it!

Shirley Pumpkin said...

Jen this card is so pretty.. I love it. I love the color with that tree stamp. I also want to say thanks for using the Mashup Banner on your post!!

Hugs
Shirley

Anonymous said...

Your card is gorgeous Jen and I am in total agreement with your comment on Basic Black, just a little bit of it makes your card pop and you have certainly done that. Well done, I love it
Kirsty