Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Freshly Made Sketches 76

It's an exciting day today at Freshly Made Sketches!  Not only do we show off a new look to the blog (be sure to check it out) but there are two brand-new designers joining us!  We're so excited to welcome Narelle and Amy to the design team.  I'm sure you've seen them in the gallery week after week wowing you with their creativity and we're just tickled pink that they are joining us!

Now onto today's sketch designed by Linda Suarez and my take on it.



I always use the "rule of three" when I'm planting flowers in my garden so I find it a very useful creative concept in the card-making world as well.  Three of anything conveys a balance and harmony that any other number doesn't quite measure up to.  Although I spent some time pondering the three blocks on the sketch I finally realized that they didn't need to be three of the same thing.  So I chose a beautiful butterfly for the center and some of those easily recognizable pink ribbons as accents on the side.

I thought of this inspiring wings of HOPE stamp set because I work with this wonderful lady who is a breast cancer survivor and I wanted to give her a little something to let her know that I recognize her struggle and appreciate her.  Originally I started out with a bit more pink on this card but in the end I went with the simple white squares mounted on black.  And I have to say (with pride and a goofy grin) that I doodled those squares free hand!  I was a little apprehensive about doing it but once I got going I realized that it was an awful lot of fun and mistakes are not only welcome but part of the charm!

Now don't be shy and head on over to Freshly Made Sketches and check out our new look and what our always amazing design team has cooked up to get your creative juices flowing.  And don't forget to show some special love to Narelle and Amy!


11 comments:

Beth said...

Such a cute card - and for a great reason too!
Thanks so much for picking my card for last weeks FM sketch!

Love Beth xx

Linda Callahan said...

Sweet! And you are a terrific doodler! Love that butterfly image!

Unknown said...

What a wonderful way to support a coworker and acknowledge her battle. Your doodling is perfect, too!

Jen Timko said...

What a perfect card! I am sure your friend will be so thrilled to get it. Those little doodles are fabulous!

Amy O said...

What a pretty card! I love the pop of black against the white. I'm so glad you mentioned that you made the doodles yourself -- they're so perfect, that I was sure they must have been stamped. Great card!

Rita W said...

You kill me again! I love this. Now I need these stamps for the breast cancer challenges coming up in October. I won't tell you how long I drooled over Washi tape today. Jen Mitchell...bad for the budget. ;)

Jen Brum said...

So you're going to give me colouring and doodling lessons?! Can't wait! Your place or mine?!!! There's less snow here!!!!
Great card! Love that centre butterfly! Great way to encourage a friend!

Linda Suarez said...

Gorgeous Jen! I love those images! And I really love your card - your doodle lines are perfect!

Narelle Farrugia said...

Wow Jen - this is totally stunning in it's clean-ness! I LOVE your free-hand squares (I wouldn't even attempt these) and these images and sentiment are perfect for the sketch! Thanks so much for having me play along - I'm thrilled to be joining such a talented group of designers.

CASTOWNE said...

What a great take on the sketch! Love the images you used.

Cindy Hall said...

Fabulous card, and a wonderful way to support your friend. I LOVE your doodling. It adds a wonderful touch to the squares.